Saturday, February 28, 2009

Jonny Greenwood's Office Mix(es)!



From DEAD AIR SPACE:

Tried to do a Spotify arab collection.....but no Laila Mourad, or Um Khalthum, or much Abdel Halim Hefez on spotify yet......so it's bolstered with some random classical stuff - but then, it's all orchestras sitting down, right?

Talking of which - found out this week about the old Baghdad music school for blind children - hence the shaded musicians in arab orchestras, the prevalence of which I could never understand. I (offensively?) assumed it was just 60's iraqi hipsters being 60's iraqi hipsters...though they were that too, of course....


-J.G.

Spotify, for those who don't know, is a European contraption that lets people listen to music for free and whatnot (not available to many of us poor souls!) I put the files into two parts, one Arabic and one Western. The Bach is just a small clip from a larger piece that I would encourage everyone to pick up (here's an amazon.com link.) Track Lists and Downloads!

Jonny Mix - Arabic

1 - Tayer Ya Hamam - Abdel Halim Hafez
2 - Hawel Teftekrny - Abdel Halim Hafez
3 - Be Amr El Hob - Abdel Halim Hafez
4 - Maza Aqool Wa Qad Himt - Mohammed Abdel Wahab
5 - Ich Enta - Farid El Atrache
6 - Improvisation on Popular Themes - Saad Mustafa Soliman et al

http://www.mediafire.com/?zd14qzrnnyy

Jonny Mix - Western

1 - Mass in B minor (Bach) - Barbara Bonney et al
2 - Concerto for viola and chamber orchestra (Penderecki) - Arto Noras
3 - String Quartet Op. 3: I. Langsam - Alban Berg Quartet
4-7 - Messiaen: L'Ascension - Marius Constant

http://www.mediafire.com/?yqdwyymbigh


enjoy!

Harri

P.S. Personally, y'know, I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself with these tunes becuz usually the only time I hear anything like this is when a friend forces some crazeh Bollywood or Iranian flick on me, or I'm at an Indian buffet. JK!

No comments:

Post a Comment