Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hoot's Death and the Maiden Schubert Listening Party!



FAQ by Hoot:

Q. Hey hoot, I hear you're having a listening party for Death and the Maiden! When is it?

A. Well little trooper, its scheduled for Wednesday at 9:00 CST.


Q. Where can I acquire the goods?

A. http://www.sendspace.com/file/acef9024


Q. Is this going to bore the fuck out of me?

A. Maybe, but the movement we're listening to is only 15 minutes long.


Q. I hear you're going to do some fancy pants analysis while the piece is playing, this seems like a self fulfilling way to show off your knowledge of music theory, why do you gotta be such a dweeb?

A. It is true that I will be outlining the form of the piece while it is playing, but this is only to keep the listeners engaged. If I'm successful in communicating the form to the audience, the experience might well prove to be more satisfying!


Q. Do I need to know music theory to follow along?

A. No. (if you're able to understand the difference between a verse, a chorus, and a bridge, you're set)


Q. What is the Death and the Maiden?

A. A string quartet piece written by Franz Schubert, its really named String Quartet in D minor, but its popularly known as Death and the Maiden, or Der Tod und das Mädchen. We'll be listening to the second track, II. Andante con Moto, which is based off an earlier Lied (song) that Schubert wrote.


Q. You say this movement is based off a Lied that Schubert wrote which I just happen to know is an accompaniment to the poem "Der Tod und das Mädchen" by Matthias Claudius, do you have a link to this Lied?

A. Sure as shit I do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvM0g4fGBE25


Q. Do I need to listen to that?

A. No.


well I'll be there, for one!

Harri

P.S. poor Hoot, poor poor Hoot

No comments:

Post a Comment